turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax entered amounts under "IRA Deduction" and also under "Retirement Savings."

My daughter made a $1,200 contribution to an IRA for tax year 2017. Turbo Tax listed the $1,200 on form 1040A on line 17; "IRA Deduction." It also filled in form 8880 and used the same $1,200 amount to figure out a $600 credit.

It then inserted the $600 credit  on line 34 of form 1040A as a "Retirement Savings." It seems to me that it should use either the $1,200 or the $600, but not both.  

In comparison, my son contributed about the same amount to his 401K at his work for tax year 2017, but Turbo Tax did not insert any amount  on line 17 of form 1040A, and only on line 34 of form 1040A. Is Turbo Tax doing this correctly?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Turbo Tax entered amounts under "IRA Deduction" and also under "Retirement Savings."

Yes, TT is doing it correctly. If eligible, you may take both the IRA deduction and the Retirement savers Credit.

A 401k deduction is not entered on line 17 of 1040A. It has already been "deducted" by not being included in box 1 of the W-2. But, it is eligible for the Savers Credit. TT picks that up from box 12 of the W-2. Line 17 is only for an IRA deduction.

You son may still make an IRA contribution (in addition to his 401k contribution), but having a retirement plan at work (including a 401k) limits the deductibility of an IRA contribution. If his income is low enough*, he may still take a deduction, although it may be a reduced deduction. He may be eligible for a Roth IRA (income under $133K Single)

*$72,000 Single, $119,000 Married

View solution in original post

5 Replies

I just read the instructions for the worksheet for IRA deductions.   Could this issue have something to do with the fact that my daughter did not have a retirement plan at work, while my son did?
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes, TT is doing it correctly. If eligible, you may take both the IRA deduction and the Retirement savers Credit.

A 401k deduction is not entered on line 17 of 1040A. It has already been "deducted" by not being included in box 1 of the W-2. But, it is eligible for the Savers Credit. TT picks that up from box 12 of the W-2. Line 17 is only for an IRA deduction.

You son may still make an IRA contribution (in addition to his 401k contribution), but having a retirement plan at work (including a 401k) limits the deductibility of an IRA contribution. If his income is low enough*, he may still take a deduction, although it may be a reduced deduction. He may be eligible for a Roth IRA (income under $133K Single)

*$72,000 Single, $119,000 Married

Thanks.

ira vs roth ira

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies