turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rosevass

I just paid a whopping $170 to e-file my taxes and it did not go thru, It said that there was a dulicate social security issue involved. What do I do? get money back?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

I just paid a whopping $170 to e-file my taxes and it did not go thru, It said that there was a dulicate social security issue involved. What do I do? get money back?

First, you need to determine what is going on with the duplicate Social Security number issue.  You either used one of the non-filer applications to register for your stimulus payment or you have a more serious issue with possible identity theft.  

Did you submit your information through one of the non-filer applications in order to get your stimulus payment?  There are non-filer options either through TurboTax or the IRS.  

If so, when using the non-filer system on the IRS website, your information is processed by the IRS as an original filed return. 

Any subsequent filing submitted electronically will be rejected and must be mailed to the IRS for processing. 

You can do this in a couple of different ways: 

• You can create and file an amended return with Form 1040X, which will be processed by the IRS as an amended return. 
  • Or, you can complete your Form 1040 information using TurboTax and include a cover letter with the return to explain that you completed the non-filer registration for the stimulus check and that this is your correct tax return.  Instead of the cover letter, you can also write '1040X Amended Return' on the top of your Form 1040 before you sign and mail it.

Don't forget that when you mail a paper return to the IRS, you must include copies of your W-2s and 1099s, plus you need to sign and date the return.  

If you did not register your information for the stimulus payment and you feel there may be a possible identity theft situation, see the following TurboTax article for your next steps:

What to do if you suspect tax-related identity theft

Finally, to discuss a refund, you must contact TurboTax by phone:  What is the TurboTax phone number?

@rosevass

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

TurboTax does not refund because of REJECTED e-File. That's not part of the deal.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies