Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I just made a contribution to my Roth IRA. The money is held at the cash account (not invested). Can I return this money to savings without penalties/taxes being charged?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I just made a contribution to my Roth IRA. The money is held at the cash account (not invested). Can I return this money to savings without penalties/taxes being charged?

Yes.   You can request a "return of contributions"   from the IRA custodian.   You can do that anytime before the due date of the tax return (July 15, 2020 if a 2019 contribution, or April 15 2021 if a 2020 contribution.)  Any earnings attributed to the contribution will also be return and that would be taxable income.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
busydbee
Returning Member

Thank you!  

Thank you!

So if I'm under the age of 59 1/2 they won't penalize me becuase I haven't invested this money correct and I can  withdraw it (just the contributed part)?

@mexicanjeffrey wrote:

Thank you!

So if I'm under the age of 59 1/2 they won't penalize me becuase I haven't invested this money correct and I can  withdraw it (just the contributed part)?

Yes, If removed as above.  The contribution plus any earnings attributed to the contribution.  The financial institution will report it on a 1099-R with the earning (if any) in box 2a.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies