Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!

I have two mandatory required distributions (MRD) and need to know where to put them ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Enter each 1099-R separately here:

Federal > Wages and Income > Retirement.

One of the follow up questions will ask if it is an RMD.

I am asking the same question.  

My husband (John) has two Required Mandatory Disturbation that is taxable.

I (Theresa) have two Required Mandatory Distribution: one is taxable and the other is not as the full amount of the second one was donated to a qualified charitable organization.

Where do I input all of this information?

Enter each 1099R separately.

The easiest way to get to the 1099-R entry screen is to simply search for 1099-R (upper- or lower-case, with or without the dash) in your TurboTax program and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.

Enter a 1099R under

Federal Taxes on the left side

Wages & Income at the top

Then scroll way down to Retirement Plans and Social Security,

Then IRA, 401(k), Pension Plans (1099R) - click Start or Revisit

If you are filing a Joint return be sure to pick which person it is for.

I can't find a place in the TurboTax software to report income from Required Mandatory Distribution. Also, where is the place to report that a certain amount of it is not taxable as it has been donated to a qualified charitable organization.

Do you have the actual 1099Rs?  Did you find the place to enter them?  After you enter a 1099R you keep going and answer the follow up questions.  It will ask about the RMD and what you did with it.  Keep going to the end of the retirement section.  @dmertz  

dmertz

Enter the Forms 1099-R under Wages & Income (or Personal Income) -> Retirement Plans and Social Security -> IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R).  TurboTax will ask any necessary questions to complete the reporting of these distributions.

There is nothing special about an RMD other than that the distribution is mandatory.  It's reported on your tax return the same way as any regular distribution.  TurboTax asks the amount that was RMD only to insure that you do not try to report any amount that was RMD as an amount that was rolled over to another qualified retirement account.  Be sure to then click the Continue button on the Your 1099-R Entries page.  Separately, TurboTax will ask if each of you completed all of your required distributions for the year.

so right there there is something special about an RMD, you can't roll it over.