cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 1

I have received 1099s for interest, dividends and pension distributions from brokerage firm in a different state than residence. Must I file with this nonresident state?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 3

I have received 1099s for interest, dividends and pension distributions from brokerage firm in a different state than residence. Must I file with this nonresident state?

No, those types of income items are taxed by your resident state, not the state where they originated. 

Retirement income is tied to your resident state instead of the state where you worked to generate the retirement funds.  It is different than income that you receive from actively working in another state. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Level 3

No, those types of income items are taxed by your resident state, not the state where they originated. 

Retirement income is tied to your resident state instead of the state where you worked to generate the retirement funds.  It is different than income that you receive from actively working in another state. 

View solution in original post