4mackattack

I have my SSA-1099-SM with my SS # entered. Need to enter second SSA-1099-SM for my deceased husband (2015). Filing single as no dependents

rjs

Resolved in comments.

It has his ssn on it?  And it's for 2016?  If that is all he has for 2016 you don't have to file it.  It would only go on a separate return for him if he has other income.
4mackattack

ok - so the income I get as survivors benefits are not taxed since on his SS #?
rjs

It's not taxed if his name and Social Security number are in boxes 1 and 2 at the top of the SSA-1099, and that's his only income for 2016. If your name and Social Security number are in boxes 1 and 2, it's your income and you have to include it on your tax return. The Social Security number in box 8 at the bottom of the form is not what determines whose income it is.

If your name and Social Security number are in boxes 1 and 2 on the SSA-1099, add the amounts on the two SSA-1099s together and enter the total in TurboTax.
4mackattack

THANKS rjs....got it now!
rjs

Resolved in comments.