divina1108

I have been in the US for 3yrs on J1 visa. Should I be paying the Social Security Tax? Thanks.

Generally speaking, J1 scholars are exempt from SS tax and are considered non-US residents for tax purposes for the first 5 years of their visa, so long as they are performing work (teaching, research, etc.) that is approved for their visa status.  If a J-1 scholar takes a job that is not related to their visa, they are subject to SS tax withholding.

bine22

J1 scholars (and other nonstudents) are non resident aliens for 2 years, students for 5 and are subject to FICA after that.