I have a W2 for that has "Social Security tax with...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a W2 for that has "Social Security tax witheld" being over by 1 cent. Do I really need to contact by employer for a W2-c?

2 Replies
Level 15

I have a W2 for that has "Social Security tax witheld" being over by 1 cent. Do I really need to contact by employer for a W2-c?

No, you can round off the entry by dropping the cents, the IRS won't care.  Turbotax is extremely sensitive to this issue for some reason. 

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
Employee Tax Expert

The IRS allows you to round the numbers on your tax documents and your tax return.  Amounts $0.49 or less are rounded down; amounts $0.50 or more are rounded up.  

Check the math with the rounding in mind.  If the numbers are correct, enter the rounded amounts for the W-2 and do not worry about getting a corrected W-2 for a penny difference.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings