turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a small pension is that taxed and if so how is it taxed I live in Illinois

my pension is from a annuity

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a small pension is that taxed and if so how is it taxed I live in Illinois

federally the pension will be taxed and will be tax exempt in illinois

View solution in original post

9 Replies

IL does not tax retirement income.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Are you only asking about IL?  Or do you have Social Security income in addition to the pension?  There is a chance you would have to file a federal return.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

NO I wanted to find out if Illinois taxes and also the feds and if so how is it taxed I wanted to set aside whatever the tax on my pension checks is going to be

Are you single or married?  If you are single your standard deduction is $12,000 for 2018--so anything over that could be taxed on your federal return.  If you are married filing jointly the standard deduction is $24,000.
Any other income besides the pension?

the only other income would be my salary and my wifes I can safely say that combined will be under $100,000.00
Anonymous
Not applicable

federally the pension will be taxed and will be tax exempt in illinois

You will receive a 1099R for your pension in January.  You must enter that 1099R on your federal tax return.  If you have other income--you say you are still working and receive a salary, and your wife receives income--the software will calculate how much of your pension is taxable for your federal return, along with your other income.  Information flows from the federal return to your state return.  The state of IL will not tax your retirement income, but as you must be well aware, your other income is subject to IL state tax.

For your federal return you can try the tax caster tool to get an idea of what your 2018 return results may look like:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster/

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4482394-how-will-tax-reform-affect-my-2018-federal-tax-return

Thank you very much

You are welcome.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies