turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a 401K to enter but the system wont let me. My adjusted income is less than 63K so it should let me enter the 401k.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

I have a 401K to enter but the system wont let me. My adjusted income is less than 63K so it should let me enter the 401k.

You mean contributions to your 401K?  Are you self-employed?
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

How much were you trying to enter?
dmertz
Level 15

The $63,000 figure potentially applies to the deductibility of traditional IRA contributions, not in any way to 401(k) contributions.
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

If you are talking about a self-employed retirement plan, please follow these steps:

1. Click on Business > Continue > I'll choose what I work on
  2. In the Less Common Business Situations section, click the Start/Update box next to Self-employed Retirement.
  3. On the screen, Self-Employed Retirement Plans, click Yes
  4. On the Individual and Roth 401k plans screen, enter your amount in Elective deferrals.
  5. If you want to calculate the maximum contribution, leave the contribution box blank and mark the Maximize Contribution to Individual 401k boxTurboTax will calculate the maximum and you can come back and enter the amount by clicking the Review Contributions box on the Retirement Contributions screen.

[NOTE:  I enter a self-employed income of $63,000 and TurboTax calculated and accepted a contribution of $18,500.

If you're still having difficulty, please respond to this thread with additional details.

If you are an employee:

Contributions to your 401(k) are entered on your W-2.   The amount is shown in Box 12 with code  D.  It is the reason is box 1 is lower than box 3.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies