Solved: I have a 1099 div from 401K. Do I enter in this years return? I thought I pay taxes only when I withdraw from 401K?

scfaris

I have a 1099 div from 401K. Do I enter in this years return? I thought I pay taxes only when I withdraw from 401K?

I show both dividends and Capital Gains on 1099 DIV.

TomD8

Are you sure it's from your 401K?  In tax-deferred accounts such as IRAs, 401(k)s and annuities, there is no current taxable event when dividends are paid within the plan; therefore no 1099-DIV is sent to the investor.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.**

TomD8

BigB2238

Did you find the answer. I am in a similar situation.. got a rollover to ira from 401k, the dividend came afterwards and was deposited into the ira account - meaning was not used as a distribution. I still got a 1099-div for this, I need to figure out how to claim it as expense after reporting it in income section.

Contact the 1099-Div issuer ... it should NOT have been issued for a 401K or IRA account.