Solved: I have a 1099 div from 401K. Do I enter in this years return? I thought I pay taxes only when I withdraw from 401K?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scfaris

I have a 1099 div from 401K. Do I enter in this years return? I thought I pay taxes only when I withdraw from 401K?

I show both dividends and Capital Gains on 1099 DIV.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

I have a 1099 div from 401K. Do I enter in this years return? I thought I pay taxes only when I withdraw from 401K?

Are you sure it's from your 401K?  In tax-deferred accounts such as IRAs, 401(k)s and annuities, there is no current taxable event when dividends are paid within the plan; therefore no 1099-DIV is sent to the investor.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.**

View solution in original post

3 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

Are you sure it's from your 401K?  In tax-deferred accounts such as IRAs, 401(k)s and annuities, there is no current taxable event when dividends are paid within the plan; therefore no 1099-DIV is sent to the investor.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.**

View solution in original post

BigB2238

Did you find the answer. I am in a similar situation.. got a rollover to ira from 401k, the dividend came afterwards and was deposited into the ira account - meaning was not used as a distribution. I still got a 1099-div for this, I need to figure out how to claim it as expense after reporting it in income section.

Critter
Level 15

Contact the 1099-Div issuer ... it should NOT have been issued for a 401K or IRA account.  

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings