turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sisk2gl

I have 2 IRA accts, and took the combined RMD from 1 acct. Do I answer the question "how much of the distribution was RMD": all of it? Any entry for the other acct?

The total withdrawn from one IRA  equalled only the required minimum distribution total for both traditional IRA's .   When answering the questions in the 1099R section of Turbo Tax, it asks how much of the distribution was RMD.  Do I answer "all of it" for that particular 1000R, and not even fill out anything for the IRA that had no withdrawal?  How does IRS know that the RMD was met from the other IRA withdrawal?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have 2 IRA accts, and took the combined RMD from 1 acct. Do I answer the question "how much of the distribution was RMD": all of it? Any entry for the other acct?

When you enter the one 1099R state that all of it is RMD.

IRS gets the Forms 5498 and the 1099R so this could tell if the amount taken was enough, based on your age.

The other IRA will no withdrawal, nothing is needed to be entered on the tax return. 

It is common for people to take it all from one account, versus some from each so no worries.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

When you enter the one 1099R state that all of it is RMD.

IRS gets the Forms 5498 and the 1099R so this could tell if the amount taken was enough, based on your age.

The other IRA will no withdrawal, nothing is needed to be entered on the tax return. 

It is common for people to take it all from one account, versus some from each so no worries.

The answer to the question does not go on your tax return, it is simply to make sure you do not owe any penalty for not taking the RMD or use it for an ineligible rollover.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies