turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have 1000$ in photo contest winnings and received a 1099. I enter the 1099 and prompt to “source” screen.. what do I pick? See pictures

I can not get past this section! It’s not from a business or investment 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
DeniseF1

I have 1000$ in photo contest winnings and received a 1099. I enter the 1099 and prompt to “source” screen.. what do I pick? See pictures

I assume that the prize is in box 3 of the 1099-MISC. You cannot report income on Form 1040 line 21 in TurboTax Free Edition. I think you can start to enter the 1099-MISC, but it will tell you that you have to upgrade to Deluxe, which is not free. Here's how to enter a 1099-MISC with income in box 3 in TurboTax so that it is reported on Form 1040 line 21.

• Click the Federal Taxes tab.
  • Click Wages & Income.
  • Click "I'll choose what I work on" or "Jump to a full list."
  • On the screen "Your 2016 Income Summary," scroll down to the section "1099-MISC and Other Common Income." Click the Start button for "Income from Form 1099-MISC."
  • The next screen asks "Did you get a 1099-MISC?" Click Yes.
  • On the next screen enter the information from the 1099-MISC form, then click Continue.
  • TurboTax will now ask a series of questions about the 1099-MISC income. Answer as follows, even if some of the answers aren't true.
  • "Describe the reason for this 1099-MISC." - It doesn't matter what you enter. Enter a short description such as "Prize." Click Continue. You will see this description used in some of the subsequent questions.
  • "Does one of these uncommon situations apply?" - Select the last choice, "None of these apply," and click Continue.
  • "Did the Prize involve work that's like your main job?" - Select No and click Continue.
  • "How often did you get income for Prize?" - "I got it in 2016" will already be checked. Don't check any of the other boxes. Just click Continue.
  • "Did the Prize involve an intent to earn money?" - Select No and click Continue.

This will report the income as Other income on Form 1040 line 21 with the description "Other Income from box 3 of 1099-Misc."

I do not get any of those prompts. I enter the 1099 then followed by clicking the "royalty" answer bc I didn't invest anything and then it asked for description and I type prize and then that's it. it doesn't follow up with anymore questions
DeniseF1

Did you upgrade to Deluxe edition?

it didn't ask if I wanted to upgrade

I think I am already on the deluxe because when I click the "upgrade" tab on the left menu bar, my next option is "premiere".. deluxe is grayed out

its making me fill out a schedule C
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies