turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wbear2000

I had to re-characterize my Roth contribution to IRA. I was told that if I did that prior to filing date, I did not owe a penalty. However, a penalty shows.Do I owe tax?

I did this prior to filing deadline and the amount transferred to the traditional IRA was less because the stocks had lost money since the contribution was made.  My form 5329 still shows that I owe a substantial tax penalty and the institution said that there was no penalty if I did this prior to filing date.  How do I fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

I had to re-characterize my Roth contribution to IRA. I was told that if I did that prior to filing date, I did not owe a penalty. However, a penalty shows.Do I owe tax?

TurboTax asks how much you switched from a Roth IRA to a traditional IRA, make sure that you enter the amount recharacterized (apparently entire amount you contributed to the Roth IRA), not the adjusted amount that was transferred to the traditional IRA.  If you originally contributed $5,500 to the Roth IRA and recharacterized the entire contribution, the amount recharacterized was $5,500.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies