Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

neerajsingh-sit
Returning Member

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I had a traditional ira to roth ira conversion this year(using the loop hole). How can I make sure that I am not taxed on the amount again? The S/w seems to add tax.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
VictorW9
Expert Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I had a traditional ira to roth ira conversion this year(using the loop hole). How can I make sure that I am not taxed on the amount again? The S/w seems to add tax.

You need to provide more information so we can help you further. The backdoor IRA is a slightly complicated process that needs careful handling and timing for it to be executed without any issues, like you ending up paying more rather than reducing your taxes.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
neerajsingh-sit
Returning Member

Details below:

I make more than the individual ROTH IRA limit so I was planning to use this backdoor.

May-2019, I opened a new Traditional IRA Account and Funded $6000 (maximum) using my after tax money.

The very next day, I converted the full $6000 to the ROTH IRA.

Now when I try to enter the details on 1099-R it seems to be adding tax on the $6000 which was already taxed from my payroll. Should I even be declaring this on 1099-R?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Be sure to enter all contributions before the 1099R. Please follow these steps, How do I enter a backdoor Roth IRA conversion?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies