turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The taxable gains from an aftertax 401k rollover to a Roth IRA do not show up in 1040 Line 4b. The 1099R shows the correct taxable amount. Line 4a is correct. Thanks!

The aftertax 401k rollover to a Roth IRA do not show up in 1040 Line 4b. 

I triple checked the 1099R, which does show the taxable amount, however, this amount is NOT making its way to the 1040 Line 4b.  

TurboTax customer service was not able to resolve.  I have done this rollover several times in the past and the previous versions of TurboTax correctly reported the taxable amount.    I am using the Home and Business Edition on a Mac.  Thank you in advance!

Sorry in advance for asking this question again... seems my earlier post with this question was deleted from this forum as the link to the post no longer works.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rskidgel

The taxable gains from an aftertax 401k rollover to a Roth IRA do not show up in 1040 Line 4b. The 1099R shows the correct taxable amount. Line 4a is correct. Thanks!

I had a similar issue, but with a pretax 403b rollover to a Roth IRA in which the entire amount was taxable.  I solved it by going directly to the TurboTax 1099-R form page and manually checking the appropriate box under the page 2 section on IRAs and rollovers (in my case B5) which for some reason was not automatically done through the step by step interview method.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
rskidgel

I had a similar issue, but with a pretax 403b rollover to a Roth IRA in which the entire amount was taxable.  I solved it by going directly to the TurboTax 1099-R form page and manually checking the appropriate box under the page 2 section on IRAs and rollovers (in my case B5) which for some reason was not automatically done through the step by step interview method.

Thank you very much!  This fixed the issue I was having.  The taxable amount that is shown on the 1099R now correctly shows up on Line 4b on the Form 1040.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies