turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

timlin43

I got 2 1099R"s from RRB. The line descriptions on one match your input form line description. The other does not. How do I input this?

I'm filing an amendment for 2017.   I have two 1099R's from the Railroad Retirement Board.  One matches you input form line by line.  The other does not.   For instance, on one form, Line 3 reads, "Gross Social Security Received"  On the other, Line 3 says "Employee Contributions."  On Line 4, one reads Social Security Equivalent Benefits.," while the other reads Contributory Amount Paid."  On line 5, the 1099R says, " Net Social Security" and on the other the line asks for "Vested Dual Benefits."

How do I enter the amounts when the input screen does not accommodate both Railroad Retirement 1099 R formats?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I got 2 1099R"s from RRB. The line descriptions on one match your input form line description. The other does not. How do I input this?

You have two separate and different forms, RRB-1099 and RRB-1099-R.
The form RRB-1099 is entered in the Social Security section.  The RRB-1099-R is entered in the Pensions section.  Both under Retirement Plans and Social Security
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You didn't get two 1099-R forms. You got a blue Form RRB-1099 (without the R at the end) and a green Form RRB-1099-R. You enter the two forms in different places in TurboTax.

Enter the blue Form RRB-1099 under "Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099)." When it asks you to select the type of benefits you received, click the box for "Railroad retirement benefits (Form RRB-1099)." The screen will then show boxes that correspond to that form.

Enter the green Form RRB-1099-R under "IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R)." When it asks which 1099-R you have, select RRB-1099-R. Then when you get to the screen for entering amounts, the boxes will correspond to the form.

Rutabaga
Returning Member

Entering the information for RRB-1099-R, Turbotax asks for the amount in Box 12-Medicare Premium Total. There is no Box 12 on either my RRB-1099-R or my RRB-1099. Moreover, RRB-1099 does have Box 11, which has a nuber for Medicare Premium Total. But the program shouldn't be asking for that under RRB-1099-R. The agent on the phone said I would need to pay another $80 to get advice on how to work around this problem.

Further, the Turbotax program is asking me how I calculated the taxable portion of the RR annuity. I didn't calculate it. I didn't have that question when I entered my wife's RRB-1099-R. This is a *&%* show. I will need to start on another tax prep program.

I don't have answers about the annuity calcs.

BUT

Some RRB-1099-R forms do have the Medicare payments on them.

And older year's explanation of boxes from the RRB itself (before they renumbered the boxes)....see the BOLD stuff?:

"Box 10 - Medicare Premium Total - This is the total amount of Part B, C, and/or D Medicare premiums deducted from your railroad retirement annuity payments during the tax year indicated on Form RRB-1099-R. This amount is for informational purposes only.  Medicare premium refunds are not included in the Medicare total. The Medicare total is normally shown on Form RRB-1099.  However, if Form RRB-1099 is not required for the tax year indicated, then the Medicare total will be shown on Form RRB-1099-R. If your Medicare premiums were deducted from your social security benefits; paid by a third party; and/or you paid the premiums by direct billing, your Medicare total will not be shown in this box."

So if you also get an RRB-1099 now, you would leave the Medicare premiums box empty on your software's RRB-1099-R  (or maybe a zero...try a blank first)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies