Please ensure that you have entered both stimulus amounts received into TurboTax:
To do this in TurboTax, please follow these steps:
- Log into TurboTax.
- After entering all your information click "Federal Review" at the top of your screen.
- On the screen "Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount" click "Continue".
- You will be asked about the amounts of first round and second round stimulus payments you received. If you did not receive a payment enter "0".
- TurboTax will then calculate the amount of stimulus payment remaining that you are still entitled to get.
- Any stimulus amount remaining due to you will show as a credit on line 30 of the 1040.
For additional information please see Stimulus FAQ at the end of the TurboTax article.
If you have already filed your return you will need to wait and see if your return gets accepted or rejected.
- If your return gets rejected by the IRS, then all you have to do is make the changes on your return and refile.
- If your return gets accepted you will have to wait and see if you receive your refund that includes the additional credit. If yes then you will need to amend your return (1040X) and send the funds back to the IRS. Please see FAQ How to amend a tax return for instructions.
Please see IRS Recovery Rebate Credit Q D2 What happens if I claim the incorrect amount? for additional information.
Please see the links below when Form 1040X is available:
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
If you qualify based on your 2020 you will get it on your tax return.
The Stimulus Checks are really based on your 2020 return we are filing in 2021. So any amount you already got will be reconciled on your 2020 return line 30. If you didn't get a Stimulus Check (and qualify) or you qualify for more it will be added to your 2020 return. But the good news is if they paid you too much they won't take it back.
There will be a screen with 2 boxes for each round. If you didn't get one enter a 0 in the box.
When you go through the federal review tab it will ask how much you got if any. Or to enter your stimulus payment in TurboTax, type "stimulus" (without the quotes) in the Search box, then click the link that says "Jump to stimulus."
After you have entered your tax information and are ready for the Federal Review, it will be the first question.
If you are trying to trigger it, you can go to Other Situations, answer any questions and click Done. The next automatic selection is Federal Review and it will ask about payments received.
The Recovery rebate credit is on 1040 line 30. It either adds to your refund or reduced a tax due.