turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ek_8403

I get SSI, & not required to file. The SSA & IRS websites seem confusing. With 2020 stimulus bill, will $1200 come automatically, or do I have to file SSA-1099?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
DianeC958
Expert Alumni

I get SSI, & not required to file. The SSA & IRS websites seem confusing. With 2020 stimulus bill, will $1200 come automatically, or do I have to file SSA-1099?

No, you do not need to file SSA-1099.  Since you are currently receiving SSI from the government on direct deposit, the same information will be used to deposit the Stimulus Check.

From the IRS website

People who aren't typically required to file a tax return

Social Security and Railroad Retirement recipients who are not typically required to file a tax return need to take no action. The IRS will use the information on the Form SSA-1099 and Form RRB-1099 to generate Economic Impact Payments of $1,200 to these individuals even if they did not file tax returns in 2018 or 2019. Recipients will receive these payments as a direct deposit or by paper check, just as they would normally receive their benefits. Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) recipients are also part of this group who don't need to take action.

For Social Security, Railroad retirees and SSDI who have qualifying children, they can take an additional step to receive $500 per qualifying child.

@ek_8403

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

iam the payee of my 2 adult children 22 and 25 they receive ssi how does this work they get there money on the direct express card

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Yes, if they do not file a tax return, they will get the stimulus money the same way they get the social security.

@moe1969

ibraoul

To whom it may concern.   

I am a single 64 year old retired man with no dependents.  I get my social security benefit checks deposited directly into my checking account every month.  I rent and I didn't file any taxes in 2019.   ON Social Security,  I collected $1095 a month x 12 months = $13,140 for the year 2019.  The Social security is my only income.  If my gross income exceeded $12,200.

Do I still get any amount of the upcoming stimulus checks deposited directly my my checking account??  And if so do I need to do anything to receive the upcoming stimulus check?

Thank you for he help!

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

The IRS will use the information from Social Security to calculate your stimulus, and it will be deposited into the same account you have on file with the SSA. 

According to IRS.gov

Social Security and Railroad Retirement recipients who are not typically required to file a tax return need to take no action. The IRS will use the information on the Form SSA-1099 and Form RRB-1099 to generate Economic Impact Payments of $1,200 to these individuals even if they did not file tax returns in 2018 or 2019. Recipients will receive these payments as a direct deposit or by paper check, just as they would normally receive their benefits. Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) recipients are also part of this group who don't need to take action.

@ibraoul

will it go the direct express card 

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Is that where you got your refund?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies