turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I get per diem, as a check. Without receipts, is there a way to deduct any of that money from my income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I get per diem, as a check. Without receipts, is there a way to deduct any of that money from my income?

Then yes, you can enter it as a "Job Expense" in TurboTax.  You can use the Standard Meal Per Diem, and your ACTUAL cost of Lodging.  TurboTax should walk you through it.  Without receipts, you will need to reconstruct what your Lodging expenses are.  You usually use 3/4 of the Meal Per Diem amount on the day that you leave and the day that you arrive.

You can look up the amounts on these links.  Be sure to only use the Meal amount ("M&IE").
https://www.gsa.gov/travel/plan-book/per-diem-rates
https://aoprals.state.gov/web920/per_diem.asp

However, that is in a category that is an Itemized Deduction that is limited to the amount OVER 2% of your income, which will reduce your deduction.  If you usually use the Standard Deduction because it is larger than your Itemized Deductions, your deduction will further be reduced or eliminated.

Another note:  This deduction will be eliminated for 2018 (tax returns filed in 2019).  You may consider negotiating with your employer about this.  If the employer pays you tax-free under an Accountable Plan, and in exchange you are willing to receive a lower 'base pay', then it is likely that BOTH you and your employer will save some money.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

If you are receiving a Per Diem in addition to your W-2 pay, that is usually tax free.  If it is tax free, there is nothing to deduct because it is already tax free.

Or is that amount being taxed and added to your W-2?

It is being taxed, and added to my W-2.

Then the next question is do you qualify for it to be tax-free.  Were you temporarily out-of-town (away from your usual area of work) overnight, on an assignment of less than 1 year?

Yes. Roughly 117 days of per diem was received, as compensation for all over night, and over seas trips

Then yes, you can enter it as a "Job Expense" in TurboTax.  You can use the Standard Meal Per Diem, and your ACTUAL cost of Lodging.  TurboTax should walk you through it.  Without receipts, you will need to reconstruct what your Lodging expenses are.  You usually use 3/4 of the Meal Per Diem amount on the day that you leave and the day that you arrive.

You can look up the amounts on these links.  Be sure to only use the Meal amount ("M&IE").
https://www.gsa.gov/travel/plan-book/per-diem-rates
https://aoprals.state.gov/web920/per_diem.asp

However, that is in a category that is an Itemized Deduction that is limited to the amount OVER 2% of your income, which will reduce your deduction.  If you usually use the Standard Deduction because it is larger than your Itemized Deductions, your deduction will further be reduced or eliminated.

Another note:  This deduction will be eliminated for 2018 (tax returns filed in 2019).  You may consider negotiating with your employer about this.  If the employer pays you tax-free under an Accountable Plan, and in exchange you are willing to receive a lower 'base pay', then it is likely that BOTH you and your employer will save some money.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies