tcrobocker

I get a check but it isn't widows benefits, it's for a parent of children whose parent is deceased. Would I get a 1099 for that? Do I have to claim as income?

SSI is Supplemental Security Income and is not from the Social Security Administration.  It is designed to help aged, blind, and disabled people, who have little or no income; and. It provides cash to meet basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter.   SSI is not reported on a tax return.

Social Security Retirement/Disability/Survivors benefits are reported on a form SSA-1099 and the benefits received are reported on a federal tax return.  The SSA-1099 would be received in the mail each year in January from the Social Security Administration.

However, if you have no other income of any kind to report on a tax return other than the SS benefits received, then you do not need to file a tax return.

Social Security benefits received by the children are Not entered on your tax return.  If the children do not have any other income then they do not report the benefits received on a tax return.

To enter Social Security benefits reported on form SSA-1099

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
  • On Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099), click the start or update button

Or enter social security benefits in the Search box located in the upper right of the online program screen.  Click on Jump to social security benefits

Are you referring to a Social Security benefit payment that is for the child or for yourself?
tcrobocker

I get a check in my name & then checks for each of my kids.