Solved: I forgot to file one of the 1099-B I received

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I forgot to file one of the 1099-B I received

However, I would get additional money back if I file an amendment, so I need to file the amendment?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Alumni

Yes, you do, for two reasons. The first reason is that you will get more money back. The second reason is that the IRS gets a copy of your 1099-B, and if you don't report it on your tax return, the IRS will assume that the entire gross proceeds are profit and they will send you a bill for additional tax, plus penalties and interest for failure to report and failure to pay. You can avoid that unpleasantness by amending your return and reporting the 1099-B.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Alumni

Yes, you do, for two reasons. The first reason is that you will get more money back. The second reason is that the IRS gets a copy of your 1099-B, and if you don't report it on your tax return, the IRS will assume that the entire gross proceeds are profit and they will send you a bill for additional tax, plus penalties and interest for failure to report and failure to pay. You can avoid that unpleasantness by amending your return and reporting the 1099-B.

View solution in original post

Yes you will need to file an amendment.

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings