mablair2

I forgot to file one of the 1099-B I received

However, I would get additional money back if I file an amendment, so I need to file the amendment?

jerry2000
Alumni

Yes, you do, for two reasons. The first reason is that you will get more money back. The second reason is that the IRS gets a copy of your 1099-B, and if you don't report it on your tax return, the IRS will assume that the entire gross proceeds are profit and they will send you a bill for additional tax, plus penalties and interest for failure to report and failure to pay. You can avoid that unpleasantness by amending your return and reporting the 1099-B.

jerry2000
Alumni

BethanyJ

Yes you will need to file an amendment.