Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I entered my deductions for IRA and it shows to deductions were made. Why is that?

I am trying to get credit for our IRA accounts and deposits.  It says I get No Credit but later it may show up. 

Are we not allowed to get deductions anymore?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

I entered my deductions for IRA and it shows to deductions were made. Why is that?

Whether or not you or your spouse can make a Deductible IRA Contribution depends on your joint Modified Adjusted Gross Income (MAGI) and whether or not you and/or your spouse are "covered" by an Employer-Sponsored Retirement Plan (Retirement Plan Box Checked on Line 13 of your Form W2). 

Note: You must have earned income to make IRA Contributions.

If neither of you are covered by an Employer-Sponsored Retirement Plan there are no limits on your MAGI for Deductible Traditional IRA Contributions.

If only you OR your spouse is covered by an Employer Sponsored Retirement Plan, the ability for the non-covered spouse to make a Deductible IRA Contribution phases out when your joint MAGI is between $189,000-$199,000.

If you are both covered by an Employer Sponsored Retirement Plan, the ability to make a Deductible Traditional IRA contribution phases out when your MAGI (Modified Adjusted Gross Income) is between $101,000 and $121,000.

When Married Filing Joint, your ability to make ROTH IRA Contributions, which are not tax deductible, phases out when your MAGI is between $189,000 and $199,000.

You can check out this IRS link for more about these limitations: IRA Limits.

For additional details, you check out the TurboTax FAQ below: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301534

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies