turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gwmcem

I entered Gross Distribution and Taxable Amount from Form 1099-R but the calculation uses the Gross Distribution rather than the Taxable Amount. How can this be adjusted?

Are boxes 5 and 9b the same information?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I entered Gross Distribution and Taxable Amount from Form 1099-R but the calculation uses the Gross Distribution rather than the Taxable Amount. How can this be adjusted?

If you are looking at a summary screen or review screen those show the full amount as income and lump a lot of stuff together. You need to check your return and make sure it's right. 

For 1099R check the actual 1040 line 4b or 4d for any taxable amount.  If it was a rollover it should say ROLLOVER by the "b or d" line. 

SS is on 1040 line 5a and 5b (taxable amount)

No.  Box 5 and 9b are not the same.

Box 5Generally, this shows the employee’s investment in the contract (after-tax contributions), if any, recovered tax free this year; the portion that’s your basis in a designated Roth account; the part of premiums paid on commercial annuities or insurance contracts recovered tax free; the nontaxable part of a charitable gift annuity; or the investment in a life insurance contract reportable under section 6050Y. This box doesn’t show any IRA contributions. If the amount shown is your basis in a designated Roth account, the year you first made contributions to that account may be entered in box 11. 

Box 9bFor a life annuity from a qualified plan or from a section 403(b) plan (with after-tax contributions), an amount may be shown for the employee’s total investment in the contract. It is used to compute the taxable part of the distribution. See Pub. 575.

On the Form 1040 the amount from box 2a of the Form 1099-R is entered on Line 4b if from an IRA distribution.  On Line 4d if from pensions and annuities.

You can view your Form 1040 at any time. Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies