gibandnancy

I do not have a W-2 form. I have a Form SSA-1099 Social SecurityBenefit statement. Can I still file for FREE?

Yes but if you only have SS or SSDI or ssi income you do not need to file a return.  It is not taxable.  And there is no benefit in claiming deductions or dependents. And you can't efile with zero income.  If you want to file you will have to print and mail your return.

rchapman14

i have a ssa-1099. I do not have a w-2. how do I enter this instead of a w-2.

Enter it in the right place ... do not try to force it in the W-2 entry screen.

To enter Social Security benefits reported on form SSA-1099

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
  • On Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099), click the start or update button

Or enter social security benefits in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen.  Click on Jump to social security benefits