turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mjgrevel

I do no have taxes taken out of my pension why am I being asked?

How do I answer the questions about being taxed when I do not have taxes taxen out?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Whether or not your pension is taxable is a totally different situation than whether or not you withhold tax. That is, you can still owe tax on a distribution from a pension, whether or not you withheld any tax to help pay for it.

If the taxable amount of your pension is not entered in box 2a, then TurboTax will have to go through a process (the Simplified method) to figure out how much of the distribution is taxable.

If you did not make any after-tax contributions to your pension while you worked (this amount is called the "cost" or "basis" of the pension or annuity), then normally 100% of the distribution would be taxable at the federal level. States are another issue as many of them exclude some or all pension income from taxation.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Whether or not your pension is taxable is a totally different situation than whether or not you withhold tax. That is, you can still owe tax on a distribution from a pension, whether or not you withheld any tax to help pay for it.

If the taxable amount of your pension is not entered in box 2a, then TurboTax will have to go through a process (the Simplified method) to figure out how much of the distribution is taxable.

If you did not make any after-tax contributions to your pension while you worked (this amount is called the "cost" or "basis" of the pension or annuity), then normally 100% of the distribution would be taxable at the federal level. States are another issue as many of them exclude some or all pension income from taxation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies