Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I directly rolled-over funds from a 401k to a 403b. I haven't received a 1099-R from the receiving institution. Do they send out a 1099-R as well to report?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

I directly rolled-over funds from a 401k to a 403b. I haven't received a 1099-R from the receiving institution. Do they send out a 1099-R as well to report?

Forms 1099-R report distributions only.  They are not used to report receipt of a rollover.

Other than an account statement provided to you, a qualified retirement plan that receives a rollover does not issue any kind of report or form to acknowledge receipt of the rollover.  Receipt of the rollover is not reported to the IRS.  If the rollover was done by direct rollover (code G on the Form 1099-R issued by the original account's administrator), the IRS generally takes the direct-rollover indication as a sufficient indicate that the rollover was completed.  However, if the rollover was done indirectly (code 1, 2, 7 or B on the Form 1099-R issued by the payer) to another qualified retirement plan, the IRS often requests that you provide substantiating documentation that the rollover was completed.  To do that, you would provide the IRS with a copy of your account statement that shows receipt of the rollover, but only if the IRS asks for it.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Forms 1099-R report distributions only.  They are not used to report receipt of a rollover.

Other than an account statement provided to you, a qualified retirement plan that receives a rollover does not issue any kind of report or form to acknowledge receipt of the rollover.  Receipt of the rollover is not reported to the IRS.  If the rollover was done by direct rollover (code G on the Form 1099-R issued by the original account's administrator), the IRS generally takes the direct-rollover indication as a sufficient indicate that the rollover was completed.  However, if the rollover was done indirectly (code 1, 2, 7 or B on the Form 1099-R issued by the payer) to another qualified retirement plan, the IRS often requests that you provide substantiating documentation that the rollover was completed.  To do that, you would provide the IRS with a copy of your account statement that shows receipt of the rollover, but only if the IRS asks for it.

DS30

It depends -

If this is a trustee-to-trustee transfer involving no payment or distribution to the participant, which includes a trustee-to-trustee transfer from one IRA to another IRA or from one 403(b) plan to another 403(b) plan, this is generally not reported on Form 1099-R.

Therefore you will have no reporting requirement related to this type of transfer.

However, since this is a 401(k) to a 403(b), you may need to ask your retirement administrator if a 1099-R will be issues related to this transfer.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies