turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I did two backdoor roth IRAs in 2019 (one for 2018). 1099-R says I have $11.5k in box 1 and 2a, but inputing this instead of 6k moves my tax up. What do I enter?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

I did two backdoor roth IRAs in 2019 (one for 2018). 1099-R says I have $11.5k in box 1 and 2a, but inputing this instead of 6k moves my tax up. What do I enter?

Enter your 1099-R exactly as it is shown (especially the Box 7 Code).

Pay attention to the follow-up questions in TurboTax after your entry.

Click the link for more info on How to Enter a 1099-R

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you. But every time I put in this information of $11,500 instead of $6,000, it charges me a tax of roughly $2,500 

dmertz
Level 15

Also make sure that you entered your nondeductible traditional IRA contribution for 2019 and that your 2019 Form 8606 shows on line 2 the amount from line 14 of your 2018 Form 8606.

Finally, if you had other money in traditional IRAs, your Roth conversion is only partially nontaxable and your traditional IRAs retain the remainder of your basis in nondeductible traditional IRA contributions, shown on line 14 of your 2019 Form 8606.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies