turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I did my taxes and was getting $8500 but I missed an early withdrawal form 1099R for $2800. It shows now $200. Is this addition to $8500? Do admen prior to return/after?

When I did my initial return it was a refund of $8500. I forgot the 1099R - early withdrawal for $2800. Now it shows refund for $200. Is this in addition to the $8500 or is it altered this much? Do I file the amendment before or after the initial return? I initially did it as 1040A but now it says I have to do a deluxe. Is that necessary? Also I don't understand how to handle the state tax? It says A-H needs a figure but I don't know where to enter the $2800

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

I did my taxes and was getting $8500 but I missed an early withdrawal form 1099R for $2800. It shows now $200. Is this addition to $8500? Do admen prior to return/after?

Check over your 1040X. Are you sure that this doesn't show a balance due of $200? Because it doesn't make sense for you to be getting an additional refund after adding more income, and income that is subject to a penalty for early withdrawal, except if you had significant taxes withheld from the distribution.

Have you followed the instructions in the FAQ below?  You only amend your return after you've filed the original return and it's been accepted by the IRS. You need to wait for your refund before you amend, and then print and mail the 1040X. If you haven't filed your original yet, you just change the information and file the correct return.

If the 1040X shows a refund of $200 on line 21, then it is in addition to your original refund amount. If it shows a balance due on line 20, that means your refund of $8500 should have been $200 less, or $8300.

You can amend your state return by following the instructions here.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6602208

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Check over your 1040X. Are you sure that this doesn't show a balance due of $200? Because it doesn't make sense for you to be getting an additional refund after adding more income, and income that is subject to a penalty for early withdrawal, except if you had significant taxes withheld from the distribution.

Have you followed the instructions in the FAQ below?  You only amend your return after you've filed the original return and it's been accepted by the IRS. You need to wait for your refund before you amend, and then print and mail the 1040X. If you haven't filed your original yet, you just change the information and file the correct return.

If the 1040X shows a refund of $200 on line 21, then it is in addition to your original refund amount. If it shows a balance due on line 20, that means your refund of $8500 should have been $200 less, or $8300.

You can amend your state return by following the instructions here.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6602208

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies