turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I did a backdoor roth IRA contribution for 2019 and 2020 in March, 2020. My state return is taxing me on it as income, even though my federal return is correct.

My PA state return is adding my roth contribution to my total income and then taxing me on it. If I select the box "not taxable" on my PA return the problem is fixed, but TurboTax flags this as an error since I cannot check that box next to a traditional IRA contribution. I need my state tax return to recognize my federal return correctly, even though everything seems to be correct. Is there a way to edit my state income manually? Not sure how to remedy this.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I did a backdoor roth IRA contribution for 2019 and 2020 in March, 2020. My state return is taxing me on it as income, even though my federal return is correct.

Please see this thread for detailed instructions about how to get the State return to recognize the backdoor Roth contribution without applying the tax.

In addition, here is a TurboTax article with the steps for entering a Roth Backdoor conversion.  

A backdoor Roth IRA allows you to get around income limits by converting a Traditional IRA into a Roth IRA. Contributing directly to a Roth IRA is restricted if your income is beyond certain limits, but there are no income limits for conversions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies