turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mcook123

I contributed to a traditional IRA for my 2017 tax year, but I could not deduct the contribution so I paid taxes on the entire amount. Roll to ROTH in 18 is being taxed

I have the 2017 Tax information statement form 5498.  This contribution was done in 2018, then I later in the year converted  this to a ROTH account.  How do I enter in Turbo Tax this information so I am not taxed on this amount?

Where do I enter this so I am not double taxed on this amount?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
mcook123

I contributed to a traditional IRA for my 2017 tax year, but I could not deduct the contribution so I paid taxes on the entire amount. Roll to ROTH in 18 is being taxed

I figured this out - it's form 8606 from previous years where I see my non-deductible amount I contributed to my IRA's that I then use as my basis for the roll over so I am not double taxed.   Also, by going directly to this form in TurboTax, I found where I enter this basis.

If you contribute to a Traditional IRA and convert to a Roth in the same year, you will not be able to deduct your contribution to the Traditional IRA that year.  This is because any amount converted to a Roth is considered taxable in the year of conversion (even though there is no tax penalty for conversion). In certain rare cases you were able to spread the conversion out over 2 years.  So if you contribute and then convert, it's a wash.
mcook123

Thanks - I figured out my question (it's a bit different than what you answered, but I do appreciate it) - it's form 8606 from previous years where I see my non-deductible amount I contributed to my IRA's that I then use as my basis for the roll over so I am not double taxed.   Also, by going directly to this form in TurboTax, I found where I enter this basis.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies