I contributed to a Roth IRA in April 2015 for tax year 2014. Am I able to use that money as a down payment for a first time home purchase now?

I believe 5-year Roth IRA rule for a first time home purchase would apply if I opened the Roth IRA account in 2014. But I opened the account in 2015 and contributed to it for the tax year 2014. Does that satisfy the 5-year rule to use the Roth IRA earnings for a first time home purchase?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

dmertz

Yes.  Because you made your first Roth IRA contribution for 2014, the 5-year clock started on January 1, 2014.  Any earnings that are distributed in 2019 or later that you apply to a first home purchase are tax free in addition to being penalty free.

dmertz