Solved: I contributed 6,000 to my Roth IRA, but Turbotax i...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alexflores170

I contributed 6,000 to my Roth IRA, but Turbotax is telling me that its too high and has to be less than 10,000. Anyone have a solution?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
macuser_22
Level 15

I contributed 6,000 to my Roth IRA, but Turbotax is telling me that its too high and has to be less than 10,000. Anyone have a solution?

Are you filing Married Filing Separately?  The $10K limit only applied to MFS.

The solution is:

1) File a joint return with your spouse if possible.

2) Request a "return of excess contribution" but the July 15 due date from the IRA trustee to avoid a penalty.

See:

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/roth-iras

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

2 Replies
macuser_22
Level 15

Are you filing Married Filing Separately?  The $10K limit only applied to MFS.

The solution is:

1) File a joint return with your spouse if possible.

2) Request a "return of excess contribution" but the July 15 due date from the IRA trustee to avoid a penalty.

See:

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/roth-iras

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

dmertz
Level 15

or

3) Ask the IRA custodian to recharacterize the Roth IRA contribution to be a traditional IRA contribution instead, which may or may not be deductible depending on whether you or your spouse is an active participant in a workplace retirement plan.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings