Solved: I contributed 6,000 to my Roth IRA, but Turbotax i...

alexflores170

I contributed 6,000 to my Roth IRA, but Turbotax is telling me that its too high and has to be less than 10,000. Anyone have a solution?

macuser_22

Are you filing Married Filing Separately?  The $10K limit only applied to MFS.

The solution is:

1) File a joint return with your spouse if possible.

2) Request a "return of excess contribution" but the July 15 due date from the IRA trustee to avoid a penalty.

See:

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/roth-iras

macuser_22

The solution is:

See:

dmertz

or

3) Ask the IRA custodian to recharacterize the Roth IRA contribution to be a traditional IRA contribution instead, which may or may not be deductible depending on whether you or your spouse is an active participant in a workplace retirement plan.