turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I contributed $1000 to my Traditional IRA in order to qualify for a deduction in 2018. Reviewing return, it registered as actual deduction with penalty. How do I correct?

In reviewing my 2018 tax returns it seems like there may be an error. I contributed $1000 to my Traditional IRA in order to qualify for a deduction on my 2018 return. In re-reviewing my 2018 return it looks like a $121 penalty was assessed for a $1000 deduction, when in reality it was a $1,000 contribution. I've tried going through and amending, but the $1,000 contribution keeps showing up on my federal return on lines 32 as a $1,000 IRA deduction, and lines 30 as a $121 penalty on early withdrawal of savings. It was also carried through to my state tax return. What's one to do, and how do you correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

I contributed $1000 to my Traditional IRA in order to qualify for a deduction in 2018. Reviewing return, it registered as actual deduction with penalty. How do I correct?

Line 30 has nothing to do with IRAs.  Line 30 is the total of amounts reported in box 2 of any Forms 1099-INT you have entered.

While reviewing all my 2018 tax documents, I see I had a $121 early withdrawal penalty related to a CD I cashed before it matured.

It was confusing to me since lines 30 (the 1099-INT CD penalty) and lines 32 (the IRA Contribution/Deduction) were adjacent to one another. Thanks for clarifying. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies