turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am trying to file for the remainder of my CTC. It says its fully refundable even if you dont have earned income this year which I dont, only ssdi. FULLY REFUNDABLE?

I am a single mom with 1 minor child. I did receive the payments but it was my understanding that this year alone wed get the "fully refundable" CTC regardless if we had earned income this year. I am disabled and receive ssdi only at this time. Its all over the news that even people with no income get it so why is the system saying I cant have the remainder? What am I doing wrong? Should I file elsewhere? UPDATE: INTUIT would not let me file this early so that was part of the problem, says I have to wait until the 24th or so. Thank you all for trying to help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

I am trying to file for the remainder of my CTC. It says its fully refundable even if you dont have earned income this year which I dont, only ssdi. FULLY REFUNDABLE?

If the system is saying you cannot have the remainder, it is likely because: 

• Your information is incorrect (missing information or you answered something wrong)
  • Your child's information is incorrect (missing information) or does not meet the criteria this year for a Qualifying Child
  • You answered that someone else is able to claim your child for 2021
  • You answered that someone else supports you or your child
  • You entered an amount equal to the total child tax credit when asked how much you already received instead of just half of the amount.

To fix this, you can go back through and verify that all information is correct. If someone else can claim you or your child for 2021, then you would not be eligible to get the remainder of the credit.

When filing with no income, you should only need to enter information in the Personal Info and Deductions and Credits section.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Don't rush to SUBMIT your tax return. it is a waste and leaves you stuck.

By law, IRS must hold your refund until at least 2/15.

IRS may delay the start of processing this year anyway.

Thank you for the tip! I actually just found out I cant even submit one through INTUIT until late this month around the 25th. I didnt know as Ive always filed on the 31st but never tried this early. I will wait.

None of those were the reason and all things were correctly entered. The reason turned out to be that I had just not quite made it all the way to the end just yet and also INTUIT will not allow me to file this early.... have to wait until the 24th/25th. Thank you

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies