Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

giova

I am trying to calculate the profit sharing maximum for my solo 401k. I have already used my employer 401k maximum at $18k.

If I check "optimize" box in the Business Individual 401k section, it assumes I did not put money in my company 401k...
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

I am trying to calculate the profit sharing maximum for my solo 401k. I have already used my employer 401k maximum at $18k.

TurboTax does not support automatic calculation of your maximum deductible contribution to a solo 401(k) when you have made elective deferrals or Roth contributions to another employer's qualified retirement plan.  This is explicitly documented as unsupported:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901702-are-there-any-personal-individual-tax-situations-or-calcul...

Since you have already made the maximum permissible elective deferral and therefore cannot make any elective deferral or Roth contribution under your solo 401(k) plan, you can instead mark the Maximize box for a Keogh profit-sharing plan.  This will cause TurboTax to calcutate only the maximum employer contribution permissible to your solo 401(k).  Indicate No, you did not contribute to an Individual or Roth 401(k) plan, then indicate Yes, you contributed to a Keogh plan, then mark the Maximize box for the Profit Sharing Keogh Plan.  The calculation of the employer contribution is the same as for a 401(k).

View solution in original post

8 Replies

If you have maxed out the employer 401K then you may not make any further 401K contributions at all.

giova

that's incorrect - you can make employer profit sharing contribution...

I suspect that part of the program isn't finalized yet.

dmertz
Level 15

TurboTax does not support automatic calculation of your maximum deductible contribution to a solo 401(k) when you have made elective deferrals or Roth contributions to another employer's qualified retirement plan.  This is explicitly documented as unsupported:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901702-are-there-any-personal-individual-tax-situations-or-calcul...

Since you have already made the maximum permissible elective deferral and therefore cannot make any elective deferral or Roth contribution under your solo 401(k) plan, you can instead mark the Maximize box for a Keogh profit-sharing plan.  This will cause TurboTax to calcutate only the maximum employer contribution permissible to your solo 401(k).  Indicate No, you did not contribute to an Individual or Roth 401(k) plan, then indicate Yes, you contributed to a Keogh plan, then mark the Maximize box for the Profit Sharing Keogh Plan.  The calculation of the employer contribution is the same as for a 401(k).

dmertz
Level 15

Also, first go through and indicate that you *did* make an Individual or Roth 401(k) contribution, then on the next page make sure that all of the boxes, including the Maximize box, are blank.  Having Maximize boxes marked on more than one of the pages will get the wrong result.

The maximum employer contribution is approximately 18.57% of your net profit from self-employment.  The total of your entire solo 401 (k) contribution, one half your self-employment tax, and deduction for self-employed health insurance premiums can't exceed your net profit from self-employment.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies