Solved: I am retired from one company and working for another. I received both a W-2 and 1099 from the company I retired from. Why would this be?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am retired from one company and working for another. I received both a W-2 and 1099 from the company I retired from. Why would this be?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 15

I am retired from one company and working for another. I received both a W-2 and 1099 from the company I retired from. Why would this be?

OK, the W-2 will be reported in the income area as one of the first items to report.

Then the 1099R is for a retirement distribution and that gets reported as follows:

To enter pension and annuity Payments (1099-R)

• Click on Federal Taxes
  • Click on Wages and Income
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
  • On IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R), click the start or update button

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Level 15

Is it a 1099R?  Please give more detail what 1099 is for.  Thank you

Yes, it is a 1099-R.
Level 15

OK, the W-2 will be reported in the income area as one of the first items to report.

Then the 1099R is for a retirement distribution and that gets reported as follows:

To enter pension and annuity Payments (1099-R)

• Click on Federal Taxes
  • Click on Wages and Income
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
  • On IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R), click the start or update button

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings