turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am retired but worked for my son in law co. to help him out for 2 months I made about 8000 dollars since I am retired what form would I use ?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am retired but worked for my son in law co. to help him out for 2 months I made about 8000 dollars since I am retired what form would I use ?

If your son in law treated you as an employee, he would then issue a W2 Form . With an $8,000 yearly income on a W-2 Form, you are not required to file your tax return unless you're looking to get your tax withholdings back. In addition to this, as a low income, you may be entitled to an earn income tax credit [EIC]
If you were treated as an independent contractor, you are supposed to receive a  1099-MISC Form . You will be required to file a tax return, but you can deduct all expenses related to this self-employment income.  
Do I need to file a federal return this year?

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

How were your wages reported to you? W-2 or 1099-MISC?

If your son in law treated you as an employee, he would then issue a W2 Form . With an $8,000 yearly income on a W-2 Form, you are not required to file your tax return unless you're looking to get your tax withholdings back. In addition to this, as a low income, you may be entitled to an earn income tax credit [EIC]
If you were treated as an independent contractor, you are supposed to receive a  1099-MISC Form . You will be required to file a tax return, but you can deduct all expenses related to this self-employment income.  
Do I need to file a federal return this year?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies
v