Solved: I am retired. Between SS and IRA my adjusted gross income is $8400. Had to buy car 2016 and paid $1600 sales tax. Can I get that money back? CA resident..

boulderqt

I am retired. Between SS and IRA my adjusted gross income is $8400. Had to buy car 2016 and paid $1600 sales tax. Can I get that money back? CA resident..

Phillip1

No.

Sales tax can be used as an itemized deduction, but your income is low enough (if 8,400 includes all of your Social Security Income and IRA income) that you do not have a filing requirement (there are at least 10,350 in standard deductions and exemptions). Therefore itemized deductions will not have any effect on how much of a tax refund you will receive.

Phillip1

No.