Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

adamorr

I am not covered by a retirement plan at work (box 13 on my W-2 is not checked), but Turbotax is not letting me deduct my 2019 IRA contribution.

I get the message "To deduct a contribution, you can't have a MAGI of over $123,000 while being covered by a retirement plan at work" after entering my IRA contribution information.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

I am not covered by a retirement plan at work (box 13 on my W-2 is not checked), but Turbotax is not letting me deduct my 2019 IRA contribution.

If there is no Box 12 code with an amount for deferred comp or box 13 checked, try to delete the form, clear cache and cookies on your computer, exit the program and restart your computer. First, look at your W-2 entries to make sure you did not accidentally make a wrong entry.

@adamorr

I am experiencing a similar problem with my 2021 tax return. How do we adjust the Turbo Tax program to permit the IRA deduction?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

@sperry1977

To enter your traditional IRA contribution:

1. On the left side of your screen, click Federal.
  2. At the top of your screen choose Deductions and Credits.
  3. Scroll down to Retirement and Investments.
  4. Click Start on Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions.

If this does not work you may need to start over by deleting any entries made on the IRA deduction.  Then clear your history, cache and cookies then reboot the computer.

Cookies are small files that temporarily store data on your computer. We use them to personalize your experience so you see information you already entered and not items that are irrelevant or repetitive.

On rare occasions, they may make your browser think you already did something that you still need to do. To fix that, you'll need to delete (clear) the cookies from your browser.

Each browser has a slightly different method for deleting cookies. Choose the browser you're using:

1. Internet Explorer
  2. Mozilla Firefox
  3. Google Chrome
  4. Safari
  5. Safari for iOS (mobile devices)
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies