turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am in the Air Guard, and am not sure if contributing to my TSP qualifies me for the retirement contribution tax break. Do either this or my military plan qualify me?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieH1

I am in the Air Guard, and am not sure if contributing to my TSP qualifies me for the retirement contribution tax break. Do either this or my military plan qualify me?

No.  TSP is a pre-tax benefit that is not the same as an IRA or 401(k).

You can't deduct contributions to traditional TSPs because they're deducted directly from paychecks. When your employer sends you your W-2, your taxable income won't include your TSP contributions. For example, assume your salary is $68,000, and you contribute $6,000 to your traditional TSP. You'll only see $62,000 of taxable income in box 1 of the W-2. Claiming that deduction would count the same TSP contribution twice, which wouldn't make the IRS very happy.

See this for more information:

https://budgeting.thenest.com/can-deduct-contribution-thrift-savings-plan-tax-return-24799.html

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JulieH1

No.  TSP is a pre-tax benefit that is not the same as an IRA or 401(k).

You can't deduct contributions to traditional TSPs because they're deducted directly from paychecks. When your employer sends you your W-2, your taxable income won't include your TSP contributions. For example, assume your salary is $68,000, and you contribute $6,000 to your traditional TSP. You'll only see $62,000 of taxable income in box 1 of the W-2. Claiming that deduction would count the same TSP contribution twice, which wouldn't make the IRS very happy.

See this for more information:

https://budgeting.thenest.com/can-deduct-contribution-thrift-savings-plan-tax-return-24799.html

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies