turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am full retired (73) but sell a few puppies per year out of my home. How to file for taxes. Make less than 10.000/year. Do i need to file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieH1

I am full retired (73) but sell a few puppies per year out of my home. How to file for taxes. Make less than 10.000/year. Do i need to file?

With a $10,000 gross income, this looks like a business and not a hobby.  

I assume you have not incorporated or gotten an EIN ( a business number to file taxes) so you will do the tax form with your Social Security Number.  

You need to file a tax return using a version of Turbo Tax which includes a Schedule C.  On the Schedule C you can add your expenses and how much income you received.   After the two are compared, Turbo Tax will tell you if you had a profit.  You will pay taxes on the profit.

To file a Schedule C or C-EZ using an online product, you'll need TurboTax Self-Employed or TurboTax Live. Both these versions include Schedule C.

You can also use the CD/download version of TurboTax Deluxe, Premier, or Home & Business to file schedules C or C-EZ. These versions can be purchased online and must be installed to your computer.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JulieH1

Do you mean you make $10,000 per year selling puppies or $10,000 per year total?  How much do you make selling puppies?  Knowing the answers to these questions will help me give you better guidance. 

Do you have any retirement income? Soc Sec? Pension IRA?
pafigtree

I collect Soc Sec income, and make an extra  $10.000/year gross income through a small home kennel selling puppies.
JulieH1

With a $10,000 gross income, this looks like a business and not a hobby.  

I assume you have not incorporated or gotten an EIN ( a business number to file taxes) so you will do the tax form with your Social Security Number.  

You need to file a tax return using a version of Turbo Tax which includes a Schedule C.  On the Schedule C you can add your expenses and how much income you received.   After the two are compared, Turbo Tax will tell you if you had a profit.  You will pay taxes on the profit.

To file a Schedule C or C-EZ using an online product, you'll need TurboTax Self-Employed or TurboTax Live. Both these versions include Schedule C.

You can also use the CD/download version of TurboTax Deluxe, Premier, or Home & Business to file schedules C or C-EZ. These versions can be purchased online and must be installed to your computer.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies