• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
donovan-j-m87

I am filing a single tax return with 1 W-2 and have no dependents. Do i need to list my 401k contributions anywhere in the return?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Marketstar
Level 7

I am filing a single tax return with 1 W-2 and have no dependents. Do i need to list my 401k contributions anywhere in the return?

If you have a 401(k)  through your employer, your contribution is reported in Box 12 of your W-2 with the letter code D.

Because your contribution is included in your W-2, do not re-enter it in the retirement section.

See Where Do I Enter My 401(k) or TSP?

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

They should already be shown in box 12 of your W-2. Did you make additional contributions not shown there maybe?
Marketstar
Level 7

If you have a 401(k)  through your employer, your contribution is reported in Box 12 of your W-2 with the letter code D.

Because your contribution is included in your W-2, do not re-enter it in the retirement section.

See Where Do I Enter My 401(k) or TSP?

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v