tracyld1

I am entering my pension from out of state, why do I need to list it for North Carolina.

SteamTrain

IF you are a resident of NC.....the $$ received after teh date you moved  is only taxable by NC ...the other state cannot tax distributions sent once you became an NC resident.

IF you moved to NC in 2016, then you will need to allocate part of the $$ as being NC income, based on the date you moved to NC.

IF you were a full-year resident of NC in 2016, then all of it is only NC-taxable.  It is not taxable in the former state at all in this situation.

IF you move to FL, then the pension isn't state taxable at all after the date of your move since FL doesn't tax personal income.

*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

SteamTrain