I am being asked what the value of my IRAs were at end of 2018. I was then told that I contributed too much when in fact I didn't. What to do with that

If you are entering a IRA contribution  in the contributions section, and it tell you that you contributed too much then it should give the reason.    Usually not enough taxable compensation.  What does it say?

The most you can contribute to all of your traditional and Roth IRAs is the smaller of:

For 2018, $5,500, or $6,500 if you’re age 50 or older by the end of the year; or
your taxable compensation for the year.

For 2019, $6,000, or $7,000 if you’re age 50 or older by the end of the year; or
your taxable compensation for the year.

(Taxable compensation is generally wages that you worked for - W-2 or net self-employed income minus the deducible part of the SE tax, but can include commissions, alimony and separate maintenance, and nontaxable combat pay ).

Roth IRA contributions are also limited by the amount of your MAGI.

See this IRS article for Roth contribution limits:

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/roth-iras