Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

schoonr72

I am attempting to submit return with data from a 1099-R. TurboTax states the info in box 7 "1G" is invalid. It is clearly on the form. What is wrong with TurboTax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I am attempting to submit return with data from a 1099-R. TurboTax states the info in box 7 "1G" is invalid. It is clearly on the form. What is wrong with TurboTax?

Code 1 is an early distribution, no known exception and Code G is a direct rollover of a distribution.  Those two codes are not compatible.  It was either one or the other, not both.

Get a corrected 1099-R from the plan administrator.

dmertz
Level 15

The payer might have generated this improper Form 1099-R if you performed a direct rollover and also received a distribution that was not directly rolled over, such as tax withholding.  Amounts direct rolled over (code G) and those that are not (code 1) are required to be reported on separate Forms 1099-R.

(Also make sure that you yourself have not tried to combine separate Forms 1099-R into a single form.  Some payers report multiple Forms 1099-R as separate line items on a single sheet, each with its own separate box-7 code.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies