msh645

I am asked to Check This Entry on "MA Form 1: Tax-Exempt Pension should not be entered directly ...." It transferred from Federal and is correct, I don't know how to fix.

I have double checked my 1099-R that I entered.  These were 401(k) rollovers and complete distributions.  These have nothing to do with pensions (taxable or non-taxable).  I can't figure out how to get this to work on the Massachusetts return so that I can file my return.  I even called the support and the person helping me couldn't figure it out.  Any suggestions?

MDBadger

Same problem.  But the program seems to be adding this to the MA form without giving me a chance to edit it.

AmyC

Double check your federal and state entries - something is missing.

On the  Federal Income Tax  portion:

1. In the search or find box, type in 1099-R
  2. Click on Jump to 1099-R
  3. Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
  4. At IRA,401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R), click Start (or Update)
  5. Enter your 1099-R or if you have entered it, click on Edit then Continue
  6. Answer the next questions until you get to the Where Is This Distribution From? screen
  7. Select the source State Employees and enter the information requested:
  8. Click on Continue
  9. Click on From a Qualified Plan
  10. Continue answering the questions

On the State return portion: 

1. At the Changes to Federal Income page, scroll down to Received retirement income, click Start (or Update)
  2. At the Retirement Distributions Summary page, click on Edit State
  3. If no additional information is required, click on Continue
  4. Click on Done

Here is a link to the MA state website, which discusses the taxability of MA pensions.

@MDBadger