Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

I am a F-1 Student and my understanding is I should not pay Social Security taxes.

1 Reply
New Member

I am a F-1 Student and my understanding is I should not pay Social Security taxes.

Yes that's correct - an F-1 visa holder who is substantially complying with the requirements of that visa is exempt from the requirement to pay Social Security and Medicare - please see the following IRS link:

If you had Social Security and Medicare taxes withheld from your pay, you can pursue obtaining a refund of improperly withheld Social Security and Medicare taxes via two routes:  

  1. You can request that your employer refund the withheld taxes to you.  
  2. If the company will not refund the withheld taxes to you, you can file a claim for refund with the Internal Revenue Service on Form 843, Claim for Refund and Request for Abatement.

For more information, see the folllowing IRS guide on Social Security Tax / Medicare Tax and Self-Employment:

Please note that F-1 visa holders who substantially comply with the requirements of that visa, and who do not exceed the duration of their specific Visitor Exchange Program, are exempt from the Substantial Presence Test used to determine eligibility for being a resident alien for U.S. income tax purposes: this means that you are considered a nonresident alien.

As a nonresident alien you will need to file a Form 1040NR to report any U.S.-source income you have. TurboTax does not support Form 1040NR, so you will not be able to use TurboTax for your specific tax situation.

You may want to check out Sprintax, who are specifically geared towards international student nonresident aliens with 1040NR filing requirements.

For more information please see IRS Publication 519, US Tax Guide for Aliens:




message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies