turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

anjmyers

I am 75 on medicare B and just made a contribution to my HSA for 2016. Is this contribution based on the last month rule?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am 75 on medicare B and just made a contribution to my HSA for 2016. Is this contribution based on the last month rule?

If you are on Medicare, you can't contribute to an HSA.

The IRS says

"Qualifying for an HSA

To be an eligible individual and qualify for an HSA, you must meet the following requirements.

• You are covered under a high deductible health plan (HDHP), described later, on the first day of the month.

• You have no other health coverage except what is permitted under Other health coverage , later.

• You aren’t enrolled in Medicare.

• You can’t be claimed as a dependent on someone else's 2016 tax return."

See IRS Pub 969. - https://www.irs.gov/publications/p969/ar02.html

The last month rule actually refers to whether or not you joined an HSA in 2015 (yes, 2015) and made contributions. I am guessing that in 2015, you were also on Medicare, so you weren't eligible to make a contribution then, either.

You need to notify the HSA plan administrator and ask them to send you a "Mistaken Contribution" form, so that you can withdraw all those funds that you contributed.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you are on Medicare, you can't contribute to an HSA.

The IRS says

"Qualifying for an HSA

To be an eligible individual and qualify for an HSA, you must meet the following requirements.

• You are covered under a high deductible health plan (HDHP), described later, on the first day of the month.

• You have no other health coverage except what is permitted under Other health coverage , later.

• You aren’t enrolled in Medicare.

• You can’t be claimed as a dependent on someone else's 2016 tax return."

See IRS Pub 969. - https://www.irs.gov/publications/p969/ar02.html

The last month rule actually refers to whether or not you joined an HSA in 2015 (yes, 2015) and made contributions. I am guessing that in 2015, you were also on Medicare, so you weren't eligible to make a contribution then, either.

You need to notify the HSA plan administrator and ask them to send you a "Mistaken Contribution" form, so that you can withdraw all those funds that you contributed.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies