turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

amn-mann

I already entered my 1099-R, but now on the state portion of my return I am being asked if I received compensation from a military pension or other military retirement pa

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

I already entered my 1099-R, but now on the state portion of my return I am being asked if I received compensation from a military pension or other military retirement pa

Some states have specific exclusions for military pension or retirement, and even though the 1099-R is paid from DFAS, TurboTax asks the question to be sure that you will qualify.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I,m Retired  20 yr active duty military . I live in Minnesota. On my state portion of my return. can i reduce my taxable income by that pay amount. I already entered my 1099-R on my federal

AmyC
Employee Tax Expert

You are looking for the credit for past military instead of the subtraction for active duty. Follow these steps:

1. Log into your return
  2. State section
  3. Edit MN
  4. continue through answering questions until  you come to the screen that says "Minnesota Credits"
  5. select the box that says Had past military service- next to the bottom.
  6. continue
  7. screen Past Military Service Credit
  8. Select the box next to the qualifying person
  9. continue
  10. the screen will then show your credit amount
  11. continue on filing your return

Please see MN military reference for more information.

Hello, if i select Credit for Past Military Service , it states that i do not qualify because i took the Military Pension or other Military Retirement pay subtraction under Income adjustments. Turbo Tax States that i can only claim pension subtraction or the credit but not both. i do not qualify for past military service credit because i made over 37.500. Can i claim my full Retirement pension under Income adjustments ?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

In MN you would subtract all of your military retirement pension.  The subtraction is the better tax benefit in your situation.

I failed to take the income adjustments for my Retired Military pay on my 2018 Minnesota tax, can i file an amendment for this ? 

JohnB5677
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, 

If you've filed your return and need to add additional information, then you will have to prepare an amended return in TurboTax.

If you used TurboTax Online, simply log in to your account and select “Amend a return that was filed and accepted.” 

If you used our CD/download product, sign back into your return and select “Amend a filed return.” You must file a separate Form 1040X for each tax return you are amending.

Amend ONLINE    OR     Amend CD/Download       Amend 2016 - 2019

You will have to Mail the amended return.  The IRS limits the system to only one Social Security number or Tax ID  to be E-Filed.  The states follow the Federal guideline.  This is to guard against fraudulent tax returns.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies